Released to coincide with Virtuoso Travel Week, being held in Las Vegas this week, the research reveals where Australia’s luxury travellers are heading across long and short-haul destinations, trending destinations and the motivations behind their travels.
“This research, which looks at travel trends identified by Australian Virtuoso agencies, reveals clients are keen to share travel experiences with their extended family. We feel it’s part of a growing trend to give experiences, not things,” Virtuoso Asia-Pacific Managing Director Michael Londregan said from Las Vegas.
Key results include:
– Fiji is the top short-haul destination for the last four months of 2016, followed by New Zealand, Bali, the Whitsundays and Far North Queensland.
– Other emerging destinations include Iceland and Sri Lanka.
– Right now people are motivated by a desire to travel with their families (including multi-generational travel), to escape the winter and to undertake bucket list or iconic trips of a lifetime.
– Top trends include cruise, multi-generational family travel and expedition and adventure travel, with more last-minute bookings and a focus on health and wellness.
– The top five long-haul destinations in order are USA mainland, Italy, United Kingdom, Hawaii and Canada.